Sunday 6 July 2014

The Rainbow loom kit at Journey Toys, Abu Dhabi

Are you familiar with Rainbow loom? It's a plastic loom used to create bracelets, necklaces, and charms by weaving rubber bands. Apparently, they're the hottest craze among kids, and adults too!

After several weeks of seeing  pictures of cute and colorful rubber band bracelets in my facebook newsfeed, yesterday, I finally decided it was time to buy a loom kit for my daughter. (okay, I admit I want to buy the loom kit for myself). My reasons: making bracelets is something me and my daughter can do together. She won't be young forever and every moment I spend with her, I will treasure. Also, I want her to be exposed to toys that can stimulate her creativity and keep her away from the TV and Ipad.

My search for these looms led me to this small store called Journey Toys along the Old Airport road in Abu Dhabi City. They sell the kits for 119 dirhams and the color bands for 20 dirhams per 600 pieces. Honestly, 20 dirhams is more than I'd be willing to pay for RUBBER BANDS. Oh well.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to buy one because all their kits have been sold or reserved for people from Abu Dhabi and Dubai too! I should have had called to reserve my kit.They only hold reserved items for 3 days though so I'm still hoping I'd get a call from Journey toys within 3 days. I just had the very nice and helpful salesperson add me to their loooong list of people trying to get a hold of these kits. Journey Toys already placed an order and their new batch of Rainbow loom kits will arrive in 2-3 weeks.

Rubber bands as accessories isn't really something new. I used to make bracelets from rubber bands as a kid but I was only able to make simple designs, chain bracelets to be exact. But now, with the loom, the simple rubber band bracelet just became complex.

Just to make sure I'd have something to work with when my loom kit arrives, I bought 3 packs of rubber bands. The Rainbow loom kit, as well as the bands, are super fast moving products, as in they sell out in a matter of days.

glow-in-the-dark white with 24 c-clips

turquoise (jelly)

purple (jelly)
I really hope I'd get a call from Journey Toys soon. For the meantime, I just bought this Melissa and Doug stamp should keep me and my daughter busy while we wait for the loom kit to become available.

99 dirhams 


WHERE TO BUY|:

Journey Toys - 15th Street and Old Airport Road
                        Telephone no. 02 441 1208
                     -  they sell mostly educational toys and toys that are not available elsewhere in Abu Dhabi  




No comments:

Post a Comment