Wednesday 13 August 2014

Simple Arabic-English Lessons Part 1 (Family)

As I've written in my last post, I have been trying to learn Arabic lately with the help of my neighbor. Here are a few words that I remember from our lessons.


HA-I-LA : family

BA-BA : father

U-MI : mother

AW-LAD : children

JAD : grandfather

JAD-AH : grandmother


BI-LAD : country

HARB : war

MAWT : dead

HA-ZEN : sad


MA-FI : none; don't have

ZI-YA-DA : many (same as KA-THIR)

SHUF : look

SHU-HAY : what is this?

O-HEB : like or love.


Our lessons are actually just small talk/chat, nothing formal. My neighbor and I are both stay-at-home-moms so we have quite a few topics to talk about.

I learned Arabic faster by talking with a native speaker than in the school. I'm not discouraging those who want to enroll in Arabic Language classes though. It is because I already know a few Arabic words from school that I am able to understand some of the words my "teacher" is saying. I only attended 2 introductory lessons, and even if I wanted to attend the succeeding lessons, time and money became a bit scarce so I was forced to put the lessons on hold.



#arabiclessons 







No comments:

Post a Comment